Monday, January 26, 2009

Revisiting the Possibilities

It's been a while since I wrote a blog post. A long while. In the intervening time, I managed to get engaged, buy a condo, move twice, and finish my PhD. You'd think writing a couple of paragraphs about any one of these events wouldn't have been beyond me.

And yet... and yet, there's something about the last stretch of a PhD that narrows the range of things one can manage to do. Getting dressed and out of the house is actually a reasonable goal to set for the morning; if a lunch is packed, that's a sign of an overachiever.

I always thought it was just me, and that I'm a particularly slothful and incapable person. But then I graduated, and while I didn't have the huge tidal wave of feeling I had expected, there was a definite sense of possibilities unfolding. I can start to do other things. I can, in fact, get on with the rest of my life.

Now, I acknowledge that it's the 26th of January and so far, "getting on with the rest of my life" has largely consisted of recovering from the 'flu and managing to vacuum the entire apartment in one weekend. That may not seem like a huge expansion to the casual reader. It is, though, and just to make sure the whole world grasps my tiny forays into the rest of my life, the blog is back.

No comments: