Sunday, September 9, 2007

Weekend writing wrapup

I'm meant to be a writer.

That's a tough thing for me to say. I've redrafted the beginning of this post about four times now, so I just have to stick with that flat statement. I'm going to be expanding on that over the next little while, but for today, I'm more into the technical details. This post is the first in a weekly series: at the end of every weekend, I'm going to write a post about how the week went, writing wise.

As usual, I have a plan. (Don't I always?) I'm going to state it in public, to keep myself honest: I plan to write for 45 minutes on 4 weekdays, and at least 2 hours on the weekend. That gives me a day to play with during the week, and I can either work both days on the weekend or only one. I think it will work best if I'm drafting during the week and rewriting on the weekend, because based on today's experience, rewriting involves a lot of me wandering around, trying not to panic at how much work is left to do. (On the bright side, I got a lot of laundry done.)

The project I'm working on right now is a fantasy (possibly YA fantasy, I'll let you know when I get there) that I've been working on for the last year or so. I worked on it pretty consistently over last spring, and I took a couple of days in the early summer to crash through 30,000 words. By the end of that time, I had a pretty good idea of what I should have written. (Sadly, it wasn't what I'd actually written.) But then I put it aside and didn't really do any writing for a while - trying to focus on the PhD, I told myself.

I pulled it out again recently, and worked out what the beginning really should be. Over the last couple of weeks, I've sketched out and drafted a first chapter, and as of today I have 2559 words in second draft. AND, unusually for me, I've sent it to Josh for comments. Yay! I also batted 1000 keeping to my planned writing times! Double Yay! (but considering that I started on Friday, there might be a grain of salt or two there.)

Anyway, that's it for this week's wrapup. Tune in next Sunday for more boring details!

No comments: